Canvas - The Cathedral Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady Aparecida - Sao Paulo - Brazil - South America - Catholicsm
Canvas Print - National Shrine of Our Lady Aparecida - Sao Paulo - Brazil - South America - Catholicsm
This canvas print has a vivid, fade-resistant print that you're bound to fall in love with.
• Fade-resistant • 20.5 mil thick poly-cotton blend canvas • Hand-stretched over solid wood stretcher bars • Matte finish coating
The Cathedral Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady Aparecida - Sao Paulo - Brazil
Bring the blessings and protection of God - FULL OF FAITH - to you and your family every day!
It is the second largest church in the world, after St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. Internal capacity of 30,000 and external of 300,000. It's living proof of the faith of the Brazilian people.
Portuguese: Catedral Basílica Santuário Nacional de Nossa Senhora Aparecida is a prominent Roman Rite Catholic basilica in Aparecida, Brazil.
It is dedicated to Our Lady of Aparecida, (a variant of the Immaculate Conception) as the principal Patroness of Brazil. 'Nossa Senhora da Conceição Aparecida' roughly translates to 'Our Lady of Conception Who Appeared'.
The site has its origins in the finding of a statue of the Virgin Mary.
According to local tradition, three fishermen were attempting to catch a large amount of fish in the Paraíba River for a banquet honoring the visit of São Paulo Governor in 1717. Despite their prayers, their attempts were fruitless until late in the day, one of the fishermen cast his net and pulled it back to find the statue of the Virgin Mary. Upon his next cast, he found the head. The group cleaned the statue, wrapped it in cloth, and returned to their task to find their fortunes had changed and they were able to obtain all the fish they needed.
The statue is believed to be the work of Frei Agostino de Jesus, a monk residing in São Paulo. The statue was originally housed at the home of Felipe Pedroso, one of the fisherman who found it. This became a popular site for visitors wishing to pray to the statue, leading Pedroso's family to build a small chapel to house the statue - and so it all began!
Pope Leo XIII mentioned the Brazilian devotion to this image in 1903 Pope Pius X granted a canonical coronation to this same image on 1904. Pope Pius XI declared that same Marian title as the Patroness of Brazil through a papal bull signed on 1930 Pope John Paul II elevated and consecrated formally as a Basilica on 1980. Pope Benedict XVI granted its second Golden rose on 2007
In 1955 Benedito Calixto began the construction on the new basilica. The structure is in the Romanesque Revival style and takes the form of a Greek Cross with arms 188 m (617 ft) in length and 183 m (600 ft) in width. The dome is 70 m (230 ft) high and the tower reaches a height of 109 m (358 ft). The basilica contains 23,000 m2 (250,000 sq ft) of space.
The main church hall can accommodate 30,000 people, which can expand to 300,000 during external celebrations. The grounds contain a shopping mall, medical clinic, restaurants and a 272,000 m2 (2,930,000 sq ft) parking lot that can hold 4,000 buses and 6,000 cars.
On 4 July 1980, Pope John Paul II consecrated the sanctuary under the name Our Lady of Aparecida. The feast day for Our Lady of Aparecida is 12 October. Pope Benedict XVI visited the Basilica of the Shrine of Aparecida on 12 May 2007, during his Apostolic Journey to Brazil on the occasion of the Fifth General Conference of the Bishops of Latin America and the Caribbean.
On the occasion of World Youth Day, Pope Francis visited the basilica on 24 July 2013.