Saint Petersburg Mosque
Full View - See Canvas for Entrance detail view
The Saint Petersburg Mosque (Russian: Санкт-Петербу́ргская мече́ть), when opened in 1913, was the largest mosque in Europe outside Turkey, its minarets 49 meters in height and the dome is 39 meters high. It can accommodate up to five thousand worshipers.
The founding stone was laid in 1910 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the reign of Abdul Ahat Khan in Bukhara. Its construction was completed by 1921.
Worshipers are separated by gender during a worship service; females worship on the first floor, while the males worship on the ground floor.
The walls were made with grey granite and the dome and both minarets (tower) are covered with mosaic ceramics of sky-light-blue colour. These were created by Peter Vaulin in his workshop in Kikerino. Skilled craftsmen from Central Asia took part working on the mosque. The facades are decorated with verses from Koran using the characteristic Arabian calligraphy. Internal columns are made from green marble. The mosque was returned to the Muslim religious community of St. Petersburg in 1956.
See the canvas print of the awesome entrance in:🙏😇🙏